Topic: Decapitate insta-kills

• Author
    Participant

I just thought Orcs were that powerful.

Cleavers afford the Decapitate skill, which has a chance to cut off your opponent’s head. It seems (and I don’t know if this is intentional) that the chance to instant-kill the target is always there, for my Battle Brothers at about 40% ish percent. The skill description seems to imply that the chance goes up if the target is already wounded, but that’s not really the issue:

One-hitting to the head, regardless of head armor, is a mite bit OP. I’ve had a full-HP knight in plate with more than half armor left, and an untouched full helm (300 hp), lose his head in one blow to an Orc Young. While I’m all for roguelike difficulty… That seemed a bit odd to me. Thought it was a bug, Early Access and all.

Anyone else had that happen? And the real question: Bug or Feature?

Keymaster

Are you sure it happened like this? An Orc Young is not supposed to decapitate people with 300 head armor in a single hit, and the Decapitate skill is not supposed to increase damage vs. armor, only vs. hitpoints. Decapitations (with or without the skill) don’t trigger an insta-kill, it’s the other way around; if a character is killed, there’s a chance this is portrayed with a fatality of some kind depending on the skill that killed him.

So, if what you described did indeed happen like this, it’s a bug. The more information you can give about how to reproduce this, the easier it’d be to fix this, since we’ve never encountered this before ourselves. Thanks!

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Never seen that before. Hits to the head do the extra damage when you’re not wearing a helmet, but an Orc Young should not be able to blow through 300 head-armour and still deal enough damage to one-shot an uninjured opponent. If this happened, then it sounds like a bug where the blow ignored the helmet and did damage directly to the mercenary’s hitpoints.

Participant

Never happened to me, so far the decapitations from both sides were on low armor head gears. The only time a decapitation happened to a better helm was while it was damaged and my other brother swinged across.

Participant

I get OHKO decaps all the time when fighting Orcs, which is why I avoid them. But so far all my experiences of fighting Orcs have been early game with high-tier cloth and low-tier metal helms.

Participant

Yeah, it was probably a bug then: Haven’t tested it extensively since (I build high melee defense specifically because that blow revised my playstyle). I think I’ve only seen one other time when I have lost a man wearing head armor still get decapitated, but the orc *might* have done the 150+ or so damage necessary to insta kill, so I didn’t think it a glitch.

Is the decapitate chance there vs full head armor if the merc has lower than full HP? He might have been down 5 or so, I just remember that he still had most of his (300) armor: It’s possible he may have lost some earlier, to Lost Souls or something, I just remember he didn’t lose any that fight and I don’t believe he was down any… but then, no screenshot, and I was Iron-Manning at the time.

Participant

Ive once tried to decapitate a wounded orc with no head armor, but it was the body armor that took the hit. im pretty sure that it either functions like a normal hit with 25% chance to hit the head or it counts as a “special” attack that always hit the body. And that might need fixing

Participant

I would like to add one thing – the orcs easily inflict damage greater than indicated in the description of the weapons they use. I have repeatedly seen in log crazy numbers like the damage to armor 150 One unit and 50 health at the same time. Especially Orcs warriors, but young – too, a young orc is very difficult to keep track of this activity – you first meet them in pajamas and cloth on your heads – then their normal damage easily enough to kill you, and then in the later stages of the game, they have simply not fall on your mercenaries with 50+ melee def :). I think that the planned addition of displaying all status and the information on the enemy unit’s icon – would bring more clarity in such here – “features or bugs” so we are waiting.

Keymaster

Ive once tried to decapitate a wounded orc with no head armor, but it was the body armor that took the hit. im pretty sure that it either functions like a normal hit with 25% chance to hit the head or it counts as a “special” attack that always hit the body. And that might need fixing

Neither. It’s a hit with increased damage that can hit either body or head, but on a killing strike will decapitate.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Thanks for clearing that up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.