Topic: Minor Suggestion

• Author
    Participant

I think that reduced vision should affect the range of Rally the Troops, Captain, and any other ‘leader’ style abilities that come along. It makes sense that a leader would need to be able to see troops that they’re commanding, and have an unobstructed face for shouting. You might need to trade off having a squishy head if you want to be an effective frontline battle commander. This would also have the effect of making rain and fog inherently more ‘demoralizing’ because it’s difficult to see and command your troops.

Just a thought.

Keymaster

…sounds reasonable :)

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

I like this idea! We can go even further with realism, every brother should see the captain if he want to get bonus from his traits.
    Warrior with full helmet and decreased vision can’t see his orders so he don’t get any bonus :)

Participant

I like it, but it also feels weird to have perks not do anything outside of vision range. Being heard is what’s important, but the orders wouldn’t be as effective if you couldn’t see who you´re ordering. How about halving the effect of the perks for every tile that they affect beyond your vision?

So let’s say you have vision 3 and Captain perk. Everyone within three tiles gets the full 20%, those four tiles removed get 10% and the fives tiles removed get 5%.

I like this idea! We can go even further with realism, every brother should see the captain if he want to get bonus from his traits.
    Warrior with full helmet and decreased vision can’t see his orders so he don’t get any bonus ±’

The merc on receiving end of the perk only needs to hear the order, so their vision doesn´t matter. Otherwise you get the visual image of people pausing in combat to crane their head to look who´s shouting at them. :P

Participant

As a gamepaly feature it might be interesting, tho since even the sound of rally the troops is a horn and usually signals were made by horns, making a vision range not so much of a logical issue.

Participant

The merc on receiving end of the perk only needs to hear the order, so their vision doesn´t matter. Otherwise you get the visual image of people pausing in combat to crane their head to look who´s shouting at them.

Helmets not only decrease your vision but primarily decrease your ability to hear :)

Participant

True, but the scale of the areas where these battles take place seems to be on the small side. So I figured that hearing each other wouldn’t be a problem.

Participant

You’re right and there must be good balance between realism and fun but I like when game provide us icing on the cake :)

Participant

Totally with you on that. That’s why it’s good to discuss these things; hashing out these little details will make a big difference for the finished product. :)

Participant

I like it, but it also feels weird to have perks not do anything outside of vision range. Being heard is what’s important, but the orders wouldn’t be as effective if you couldn’t see who you´re ordering. How about halving the effect of the perks for every tile that they affect beyond your vision?
    So let’s say you have vision 3 and Captain perk. Everyone within three tiles gets the full 20%, those four tiles removed get 10% and the fives tiles removed get 5%.

;

Probably fine, but wouldn’t that actually be an overall buff to the range ?
    For me the logical portion is not so much about having direct line of sight to all affected soldiers, but more like overall battlefield awareness; I just think you’re going to be less effective as a captain when you don’t have much of an idea of the flow of battle, or generally what’s happening more than 5 feet in front of your face.

Participant

Forgot to mention it, but I only meant it to have the range of the actual ability. So with the 3 vision example, you’d have 20% within 3 tiles, 10% within 4 tiles and 5% within 5 tiles. Six tiles is beyond the max range of the perk, so no change there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.