Topic: No saving in combat?

• Author
    Participant

I was in the middle of a battle and discovered that there’s no save option in combat. Hopefully this is going to implemented, and isn’t some philosophical decision about making the game “more challenging?”

Participant

This game must be difficult and if there was save in battle option it would ruin this.

Participant

No, it won’t be implemented. At the moment the game creates an autosave before every battle, so you can reload and try the battle again. But this might be only for the EA version (because of bugs) and not the final release.

Really, it’s better that way.

Participant

No, it won’t be implemented. At the moment the game creates an autosave before every battle, so you can reload and try the battle again. But this might be only for the EA version (because of bugs) and not the final release.

I hope this isn’t the official stance of the devs, and if it is, I seriously hope they rethink something that misguided.

Some of us don’t have unlimited time on our hands and nothing else to do in the world. If the family needs attention, or I need to go to work, or something else important comes up in life, or *I just want to stop playing,” or the game crashes, or my PC crashes, and I’m 20-minutes into a battle, then I’ve wasted 20 minutes of my time. That’s tedious and annoying, and also pretty disrespectful of what my time is worth.

If some people are so weak they can’t help but constantly hit the reload button, give them a “no saves” option! For the rest of us, please don’t waste our time. This isn’t my job, it’s a game: I should decide when to play and when to stop and not be punished for it.

Participant

If saving in combat is implemented they could make it save on exit, with an autosave before the fight. That way you don’t have the constant reloading problem and people can still take a break from playing without having to restart the battle.

Participant

just wish they would put a load in the fight to save me the time i have to retreat, click through the screens etc to load a file when something catastrophic happens to one of your guys and you just cannot live with it

save in fight is not a problem it is a single player game who is going to care realistically?

are the save game police going to knock on someones door? “evening sir are you taking your game seriously?, we have had reports that you are trying to swing things in your favour or even try and leave the house mid battle?”

Participant

If there is a save mechanic inside of combat it will end like every not-ironman xcom game. It ends in uncounted reloads until every strike you do hits and your guys don´t get hurt. This is neither intended nor should it ever be possible in my opinion.
    Though the save on exit seems like a very good idea and would deal with the no-time-issue.

"I am a Paladin!"
    >OMG, Malthus, there are no damn paladins in Battle Brothers...<
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

It so doesn’t matter imo it’s the decision everyone has to make for themselves. A game should be fun. If your definition of fun is ironman, well very good so is mine, but there are circumstances and people in general who like to have an opportunity to save for various reasons. Players who don’t want to save reload all the time won’t do it anyway. It’s realy just a design decision, what the devs think will suit the game more.

But if you have constant crashes freezes and other stuff in games that makes you zealous for save everywhere, perhaps you should rethink your gaming setup and change stuff around to stop being frustrated all the time when a game has no meaning of correcting your own mistakes.

The save on quit as only save works the best for me. Tho we are in EA so it will do only harm.

Participant

It so doesn’t matter imo it’s the decision everyone has to make for themselves. A game should be fun. If your definition of fun is ironman, well very good so is mine, but there are circumstances and people in general who like to have an opportunity to save for various reasons. Players who don’t want to save reload all the time won’t do it anyway. It’s realy just a design decision, what the devs think will suit the game more.
    But if you have constant crashes freezes and other stuff in games that makes you zealous for save everywhere, perhaps you should rethink your gaming setup and change stuff around to stop being frustrated all the time when a game has no meaning of correcting your own mistakes.
    The save on quit as only save works the best for me. Tho we are in EA so it will do only harm.

I do not say you have to play the game in ironman mode. This is why I support the option of saving and reloading out of combat. But as the combat is the main feature of this game an option to save and reload inside it would totally change the feeling of this game. So I for my part say NO.

Your second last sentence resembled what I said before so I don´t get your point of arguing in the first place. If you don´t have the time to finish the fight, save on closing only is the best option as it prevents savescamming which would seriously hurt the game inside combat.

And you are right about the devs and it beeing a design decision. And I would go one step further and say it is one of their fundamental design decisions. They always stated your decisions good or bad have to matter. Savescamming would undermine this.

"I am a Paladin!"
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

I hope this isn’t the official stance of the devs, and if it is, I seriously hope they rethink something that misguided.
    Some of us don’t have unlimited time on our hands and nothing else to do in the world. If the family needs attention, or I need to go to work, or something else important comes up in life, or *I just want to stop playing,” or the game crashes, or my PC crashes, and I’m 20-minutes into a battle, then I’ve wasted 20 minutes of my time. That’s tedious and annoying, and also pretty disrespectful of what my time is worth.
    If some people are so weak they can’t help but constantly hit the reload button, give them a “no saves” option! For the rest of us, please don’t waste our time. This isn’t my job, it’s a game: I should decide when to play and when to stop and not be punished for it.

I really strongly second this. You should be able to pick up and put down a game at any second without losing any progress. Life happens and it happens constantly and unexpectedly.

If there is a save mechanic inside of combat it will end like every not-ironman xcom game. It ends in uncounted reloads until every strike you do hits and your guys don´t get hurt. This is neither intended nor should it ever be possible in my opinion.
    Though the save on exit seems like a very good idea and would deal with the no-time-issue.

You realise that without constant automatic saving inside of combat, if something bad were to happen I could just hit alt+f4 and reload the ironman save from before combat started and play it again? And if you’re going to implement constant automatic saving inside of combat for the sake of ironman mode, you may as well implement manual saving. You may as well also include periodic autosaving in non-ironman mode so you don’t have to replay a whole battle for because of a crash. Save on exit is ok but it doesn’t really satisfy either ironman mode as you could manually terminate the program and doesn’t account for crashes in non-ironman mode.

Participant

You realise that without constant automatic saving inside of combat, if something bad were to happen I could just hit alt+f4 and reload the ironman save from before combat started and play it again? And if you’re going to implement constant automatic saving inside of combat for the sake of ironman mode, you may as well implement manual saving. You may as well also include periodic autosaving in non-ironman mode so you don’t have to replay a whole battle for because of a crash. Save on exit is ok but it doesn’t really satisfy either ironman mode as you could manually terminate the program and doesn’t account for crashes in non-ironman mode.

Good point, but autodeleting that save after you have loaded the game would solve this problem. You realize it is not a big issue ;) Atleast inside the combat. And in a normal game, as I said I support saving and reloading out of combat if you do want to. You would still have to fight the whole battle again, so doing this is not without drawback.
    As there is no real IRONMAN at the moment. I would say no save but when you exit the game. If it crashes, you are screwed, but you would have known before ;) Thats something for when the game itself is stable.
    + I do not get where you might have read about automatic saving. I spoke about 1 save that is made when you exit the game midst battle.

"I am a Paladin!"

Participant

Good point, but autodeleting that save after you have loaded the game would solve this problem. You realize it is not a big issue 😉 Atleast inside the combat. And in a normal game, as I said I support saving and reloading out of combat if you do want to. You would still have to fight the whole battle again, so doing this is not without drawback.
    As there is no real IRONMAN at the moment. I would say no save but when you exit the game. If it crashes, you are screwed, but you would have known before 😉 Thats something for when the game itself is stable.
    + I do not get where you might have read about automatic saving. I spoke about 1 save that is made when you exit the game midst battle.

I was pointing out that save on exit only is a wishy-washy compromise that is much better than nothing, but won’t stop save-scumming in ironman mode and also has flaws for the people that want saves in combat to avoid losing progress.

As a side note, I’m honestly shocked they don’t have saving in combat to help with chasing down and reproducing bugs at the moment.

Participant

I was pointing out that save on exit only is a wishy-washy compromise that is much better than nothing, but won’t stop save-scumming in ironman mode and also has flaws for the people that want saves in combat to avoid losing progress.

It will stop. When the game saves ONLY when you exit it. By loading it you will continue from the exact stop you left it. That is the purpose of safe saving in an ironman mode. And no there is no ironman mode in BB as of now. It has no flaws for people who want to avoid progress loses.

As a side note, I’m honestly shocked they don’t have saving in combat to help with chasing down and reproducing bugs at the moment.

You have the savings before combat. There is absolutely no need for in combat save to bug chase, it does not benefit it in any way. If you are confusing the save in combat with the autosave function then I see your point tho not necesseraly needed.

Participant

You know what I’ve been doing lately? Playing a little Battle Brothers before I have to get ready for work. But if I’m about to get into a battle, and I know I don’t have 20mins (likely about the max amount of time a battle takes me)… I save and quit. Then later, I come back, when I have 20 mins, and fight the battle. If something comes up in the middle of the battle, that’s okay too, because the tactical combat is enjoyable enough to me, that having to fight the battle again isn’t so bad, after all, it’s only 20mins.

And why are we so quick to accuse a game indie developer of not respecting your time? That’s a little dramatic. I would hate to see how you behave in a line at Starbucks. It’s 20mins – you’re either exaggerating how little time you have (how long did take you to write your post? How many times did you save an come back?) or you are grossly overvaluing your time.

I don’t even care if there is a save option, but I certainly don’t think it is absolutely necessary or disrespectful if it isn’t included. That’s just silly.

Participant

I don’t even care if there is a save option, but I certainly don’t think it is absolutely necessary or disrespectful if it isn’t included. That’s just silly.

Thank you sir. These are the words I was looking for.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.