Topic: Some suggestions :)

• Author
    Participant

Before I get on with my list, I gotta say congrats on the great game; the quality of enjoyment per dollar spent is outstanding.

Now I’ve been playing the game for roughly a week and here are some of the things that come to mind:

1. The Retreat Mechanism:
    – The current retreat system will kill several of your brothers should you attempt to flee without placing units on the edge of the map REGARDLESS of the current battle outcome. But when the battle is clearly won and there’s only one enemy archer left, hiding somewhere, it’d be great to be able to retreat without casualty.
    – Alternately, being able to set your brothers on “auto skip-turn” would help, since it is a pain to manually go through 10-12 units just to look for an archer and this is precisely why I rather retreat than spending 3-4 additional turns.

2. River Crossings/Bridges/Choke-points
    – I’ve tried to defensively engage enemies on locations mentioned above but there are currently no strategic value to it since the battle map generated will just be like any other ordinary location. It would be cool to fight at choke-points :D

3. Others
    – The current spawn rate for bandits and orc raiders is a bit high. Eastern towns are often swarmed and caravans are too easily killed by rampaging bandits.
    – New friendly “pop-up” locations would be cool. It’s good to randomly discover an improvised burial site or abandoned hut occupied by orcs, but how about pop-up locations that provide side quests or pop-up taverns where one could hire mercs and rest the night to speed up the healing process? The possibilities are endless!
    – A stat system to keep track of total kills by each brother. I’d like to see how many career-kills my swordmaster scored in contrast to my witchhunter for example.
    – Perhaps an option to auto-resolve battles? This could be useful to safely clear out a “puny” enemy force without having to enter the tactical screen. Though numerous uses of auto-battle in a short time should result in a brother or two dying even against puny forces just to prevent players from always automating. The utility behind this suggestion is to allow players the possibility to travel between towns uninterrupted (its annoying having to engage 2-3x when you’re just trying to reach a town to buy tools or food…but if you don’t engage puny enemies they will ransack caravans and disrupt merchandise available to you)

So that’s my 2 cents for now! Let me know what you think and keep up the great work guys :D

Participant

I’m of the same opinion. Back in the day, this would have been a full-price release and it would still have been worth it.

1 – Morale is currently done on an individual basis and the enemy can always regroup, so you don’t get the Total War situation of skipping chasing down survivors. The battle isn’t over until either you or the enemy are all dead, so to speak, meaning that there’s no clear point at which you can say that you’ve won and should therefore be able to retreat without casualties.
    – The problem with auto-skip is that you’d have no way of turning it off, since turns are taken based on initiative, rather than which side the character is on.

2 – Bridges have shown up on some mock-up art for the game, so I’m almost completely certain that we’ll get to make use of bridges and other choke-points. I’m really looking forward to that as well. :D

3 – I think that the caravans of larger cities might get buffed a bit, so that they can actually stand up to minor bandit raids.
    – Friendly locations might get introduced. Still up in the air, though.
    – A log keeping track of what your characters have done is definitely getting implemented. Same goes for a log of your dead.
    – Auto-resolve honestly feels like kind of a weird addition. It seems like a better fit for a full-on strategy game, where you start dealing with multiple large battles per turn, rather than a game where you always have a single unit to control. It’s probably easier to have puny forces get scared if you’re strong enough and have them avoid fighting you.

Keep ’em coming with ideas. The more the merrier. :D

Participant

– I think that the caravans of larger cities might get buffed a bit, so that they can actually stand up to minor bandit raids.

They already have been. Tho feels a bit strange at the start of the game guarding a caravan that is stronger than you :D

Participant

Oops. I usually intercept any attackers before they get to the caravan, because if I join the guards and donkey always die before I have a chance to help. I eventually stopped joining and just waited for the survivors on the sidelines when the raiders got there before me. I must have looked like a huge asshole in-game. Me, their hired help, casually watching them duke it out. :P

Participant

Hehe. All you need is to be in range of both enemy and friendly army to draw them both in the fight. That way you always start wall to wall. If the enemy manages to attack first then you start in the corner, probably a punishment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.