Having trouble with the difficulty of the game - Battle Brothers Developer Blog

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Johnsmith24601 Johnsmith24601 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

N1GHTMAR3
    Participant

Hi! I want to mention a few things first, since I don’t want to offend anyone or make this sound bad. So, I’m not much of a thinker even when it comes down to tactical and strategy games, but no, I don’t rush straight into combat and stuff. I abuse (with the full extent of this word) the save and load system to my advantage (savescumming). I have spent no more than 3-4 hours into this particular game. I know that this game is meant to be hard and that this is early game. I am playing on the EASIEST difficulty.

Anyways, I got this game recently and I guess it’s nice. I can’t say anything more than that, because, as mentioned above, I have not fully explored it yet. The genre is something I like, but I’m having HUGE trouble with the difficulty so far. Don’t laugh, please. Yes, this is the EASIEST difficulty. Right now, I have formed a few thoughts about the core mechanics of the combat system. (THOUGHTS, NOT FACTS):

Enemy forces overwhelming (I think that’s a status effect, so as to avoid confusion – outnumbering) you is not a disadvantage, it’s far worse; it’s hopeless at times.

I don’t think my choices in tactical positioning do anything other than some hits to the opponent forces, which most likely miss either way.

I can not even use the axeman (who, now, is my spearman) properly, whose sole purpose is to break down shields. Instead, he misses 6 out of 8 attacks.

Random terrain is a huge turn off for me. Your allied forces are spawned in god-knows-where, but the enemy forces have the benefits of deploying properly, as you’d expect how two parties would engage.

Defending and then counter-attacking is useful. And then there’s times where this one enemy dodges all three attacks. (On ground terrain).

I can’t feel the enemy morale breaking even when there’s a few of them left. Those engaged in combat will not try to flee, instead acting aggressively and attacking your weakest warrior.

That’s it so far. I am not used to challenging games as I don’t play them, however I purposely turned on the easiest difficulty for that reason. I can’t walk away without casualties if I don’t outnumber the enemy by at least 1-2 men. I’m really desperate when they actually have more numbers. This is more of a “How can I actually make the game fun and not frustrating” like thread.

Sky
    Sky
    Participant

Well, these forums seem to be dead. So yeah, there wont be much answers for your cry of help.

Now about the difficulty. This game is made having loses in mind, it is one of its main points. It is hard to not lose people, especially at the start. You could have noticed that the starting guys and the cheap ones are pretty weak. You better get used to losing men and even if you dont lose them but they get a lot of perma injuries you will have to let em go. What could ease your game is to be cautious.

Try to get 1 skull quests, and even maybe avoid caravan defenses since those are a bit harder. Y
    ou should equip your people with shields that is a big boost to defense especially at the start. And not the smallest one, but the bigger round ones. Also consider tactical choises like having people with weapons that reach further for attack and the shielded ones mainly for defense, with some supporting xbow or bowmen.
    Always have food, money, medicine.
    If you see semo extra cheap guys, get em, even tho they are weak and need equip they still a body to hit which can save a more useful unit potentialy. Dont attack goblins, orcs, brigands, marksmen, they will hurt.
    Try not to attack into forests cuz then your people will start at shitty positioning.

Still the main problem is that you are used to games where you always win and save all the people. This is not a game like that. You will lose men, you will flee (by going to the edge of the map and pressing the flee button so they wont get hurt or die) and you will hire more and better dudes equipping with better equip when the money is aviable. That wont save your men tho, just ease it a lil bit. If you want to have it as easy as possible, cheat up some gold and buy the best stuff that the men can wear (fatigue is very important stat). Still they will die, just less frequently. To get to the point where you can be safe, is very hard, you need strong people to begin with (like swordmasters, hedgeknights, etc) which cost a lot, then you need to lvl em which is hard, you need to get them the right talens for the chosen purpose, and you still need the equipment.

Welcome to the Battle Brother.

Johnsmith24601
    Johnsmith24601
    Participant

Never get into a fight that you can’t win. How? Have one beggar brother striped totally naked and put all the rest in reserve. The beggar marathon runner can often outrun the enemies. If he can’t, just hit the retreat button and deal with a little injury for just one man. The point of this is that you can always pick which battle to fight. This is especially important in the early game, as you can actually find a lot of contracts that don’t require fighting. For example, if a merchant tells you to “obtain x item at y location”, this usually means that you can just go in with your marathon runner, retreat and then finish the mission.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.