Topic: I want this game to succeed (Feedback to devs)

• Author
    Participant

This post will only include feedback from a player who has purchased the game involving personal experience with the title. The feedback will include all personal biases that should be ignored where they go against the intention of the development team.

Firstly you guys have done amazing work, and the game is clearly a labor of love. I’m writing this post to help make the experience better, because I love the potential in the game, and I want to see it grow and improve.

Here’s what I think having played Battle Brothers for roughly twenty hours.

There is no clear path of progression: The starting quest is a good way for players to get their feet wet, but afterwards they are dumped in a world full of equipment, skills, and dangers and no way to cope beyond trial and error. For the masochist in me, that’s fantastic. I love it. Games that don’t hold the players hand and count on player growth are fantastic. There’s a laundry list of games i play just for that challenge, and Battle brothers is the newest addition. For new players though, it may be a real turnoff.

The game needs quite a bit of balance work:
    I legitimately enjoy the combat, and there are instances where I feel an intelligent decision made all the difference, but that feeling is currently the exception to the rule (queue jokes about my intelligence). Combat, fun as it is, rarely allows me to feel that anything goes beyond good starting position and dice rolls. Neither of which I have control over. It’s one thing to lose two soldiers in a scrap. Its another thing when you only lost one of them because your archer missed 4 consecutive shots at 51% hit rating. The random nature of the game can even turn a ‘good’ dice roll into an unfortunate one. For example, hitting a soldier on the head is supposed to be a good thing, but turns out to be a terrible turn of events if their body armor is broken, and getting a killing body shot would have saved someone on the next turn.

The random nature of starting positions can even turn a favorable engagement into a poor one. Attacking a group on open ground seems to set both sides visible and opposite each other arrayed in a battle line. This does not seem to be the case when the player decides to attack an outpost and instead of having the feeling of raiding the compound, the player winds up on the defensive in what appears to be an ambush scenario. This is even more problematic when the player initiates against a hostile group in the forest because the opening positioning still puts the battle brothers on a defensive ambush footing. What this means is that instead of having the choice of going on the offensive by turning on a pursuing group of bandits, I as a player just have to hope and pray that I get favorable positioning when the battle starts.

All of these factors make the current build seem more like one big dice roll than anything a player has the ability to influence, which removes half of the incentive to play. Why take pride in building a veteran battle brother into a tank, when he can be killed by by a bad spawn and a particularly sprightly orc young? Just moving about the map can be an exercise in patience. I’ve been ambushed by fairly large packs of werewolves in broad daylight several times. The inability to predict when i should stay off the roads and when i should travel to avoid losing my rookie band of soldiers is infuriating. This could be avoided if there was a reliable way for a band to cut their teeth and grow, but i’m just as likely to run into a well tooled group of bandit raiders early game than i am to run into a group of thugs.

To be both blunt and short, the game as it is, does not allow me to feel that growth is significant. So much of it is randomized, that I feel like I’m playing cards, not dealing with a persistent world, where my persistent characters should get better and more competent with time. I recognize that a lot of it has to do with my current ignorance of the existing systems. I’ll get over some of these gripes as I play and learn what to take advantage of. For new players already taking a risk on a new unfinished IP, the lack of information and control could be a deal breaker.

As the title of this thread suggests, I would love to see this grow. I could easily see myself putting 100+ hours into an expanded version with more balance and more content. I would suggest that version of BB to every gamer friend I have. If there’s anything I can clarify, or anymore feedback I can give to help develop Battle Brothers, please let me know. Best of luck to you Overhype.

Keymaster

Thanks for your feedback.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

“I want this game to succeed.” So much!!!

Balance for the Balance Throne! Skills for the Skill God! | Wolves - Spam for the Old Gods!

Participant

For me it already has though it is not even finished. 60hrs on record for a yet unfinished game does tell something about how well done it is already.

"I am a Paladin!"
    >OMG, Malthus, there are no damn paladins in Battle Brothers...<
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

Like you say, a lot of what seems random is because you have to get used to the mechanics.It’s not that the game is random, but that it requires a different kind of playstyle compared to most other games. That is what it makes it special, though, so rather than make the beginning easier it would be better to have the start menu point starting players more clearly towards the scenarios. Those are actually closer to tutorials, rather than side-missions, as they help you get used to the combat under controlled circumstances. I noticed that this really helped me get into the game easier, as it made it obvious what I was doing wrong and how to improve on it. That’s harder to do when you keep getting thrown into different situations, while you don’t understand the basic mechanics yet. If you’re still having trouble, I’d recommend giving them a spin and seeing how you like them.

It might be helpful to know though that a deployment phase is planned, so that you can rearrange the position of your mercenaries at the start of combat, unless you get ambushed of course.

This thread and this thread also contain a lot of helpful tips that might help you get used to some of the more difficult aspects of the game. :)

Participant

Like you say, a lot of what seems random is because you have to get used to the mechanics.It’s not that the game is random, but that it requires a different kind of playstyle compared to most other games. That is what it makes it special, though, so rather than make the beginning easier it would be better to have the start menu point starting players more clearly towards the scenarios. Those are actually closer to tutorials, rather than side-missions, as they help you get used to the combat under controlled circumstances. I noticed that this really helped me get into the game easier, as it made it obvious what I was doing wrong and how to improve on it. That’s harder to do when you keep getting thrown into different situations, while you don’t understand the basic mechanics yet. If you’re still having trouble, I’d recommend giving them a spin and seeing how you like them.

It might be helpful to know though that a deployment phase is planned, so that you can rearrange the position of your mercenaries at the start of combat, unless you get ambushed of course.

This thread and this thread also contain a lot of helpful tips that might help you get used to some of the more difficult aspects of the game. :)

GOD! It is you *choir music*.

Yea, a lot of it is just a huge learning curve. I’m not against that. I’ve been a fan of fire emblem and xcom for a while, and i got hooked on monster hunter just because of the learning curve and emphasis on player skill. The LAST thing I want is for them to make it easier. Just a few more tutorial missions as you’ve mentioned. I took advice from wolves’s post and am doing a lot better already just using the boar spears on my front line. Now i’m just worried that there’s not a whole lot of reason to use anything other than boar spear for non undead enemies. Fantastic game all around though. Can’t wait for more content

Participant

So, all of my battle brothers 11 level…and I carry out the mission to destroy the orcish fortress for 4800 crowns without losing anyone…I think, I have a right to Express my General opinion on the game? :)
    Firstly, I note the following game is perfect. I love it. And all that I will say “I don’t like” – is I just want this game just got even better – because it deserves more than any other game.
    So – “not very well” :
    1. The actual overstated the impact of randomization on the success of the action, don’t get me wrong – I understand, that this adds the game element of surprise and danger, but 4 strikes with an axe the probability of 80 % passing miss – is too even for me… honest :)
    2. An attack on some game objects ( for example – the fortress of the orcs)- I’m starting as an ambush, the orcs around me – despite the fact that the initiator of the attack is Me – in my opinion it is not logical.
    3. 11 level – very little. in the sense that I can’t do the captain is still a good fighter, why? he just doesn’t have enough levels on leadership and cutting off heads berserk and killing frenzy – it is looks like he is not the real captain :) not nordistic!
    4. I think in the initial stages of the game when many battle brothers get serious cuffs from enemies and forced to spend several days to repair equipment and treatment it would be wise to be able to todate this time safe in the castle or the city.This will be realistic.
    Everything else… is already at the level of wishful thinking – I don’t think now is the time to ask the developers more armor and weapons, cavalry, opportunities to build own camp, multi-level quests, the appearance of grin on the faces of the brothers after the successful killing and stuff – now there are far more important they care. Some random events are worth – this is a very interesting idea and we need to realize – and it is really hard. Good luck. I am with you and this wonderful game.

Participant

Update:
    So as I expected, a lot of my failures early game had to do with the nature of the game, and my complete inexperience. Learning how to handle the early game from this forum helped clear that up. Orcs seem much more reasonable now that my soldiers aren’t fighting them with leather caps on.

The hit percentages are of course just the nature of the game. I’ve hit people at 8% and missed at 95. I retract all complaints that i had about the hit ratings.
    I would like to see a choice for whether nor not to aim for the head or aim for the body. If an enemy has no armor but a full integrity helmet, then i definitely want the option to try for the chest. I understand why that wouldn’t be a desirable choice on the programming side though, as it would require percentage chances being split between the head and the body.

New maps to facilitate raids, and the removal of the ambush mechanic if the brothers initiate combat in the forest are still desirable.

Other than that, I was wrong on all counts. Leveling and equipping brothers appropriately makes a HUGE difference. Knowing what weapons work for rookies as opposed to vetrans helps too. Knowing which enemies you can deal with at any given point is equally important. You guys at Overhype have done an amazing job.

If you need an editor or writer for content, I’d love to volunteer. Anything to help this project.

Participant

Well respected developers, foremost i want to clarify the following: I bought this game – and I’m very pleased with it. I advised to buy it to my friend, who does buying games once in a hundred years – when great Jewish holidays are taking place)) – and if you can imagine – he does bought this game too – and pleased either. Surely you don’t know all the details, but believe me this is enough to state – this game is awesome, based on an excellent foundation and is playable already. That’s why a long term question appeared.
    We all understand, that the most exciting part in such game – is the beginning… and further party development, new features discovering, won battles over the previously prohibitive enemies, looting better equipment, completing quests marked “Impossible”. But afterwards 11th level will come.. or 100th doesn’t matter. What IS matter – that the playing process loosing most of fun – when your talented (or not) tactical solution works well. It IS great that there are no ultimate imba weapons, armors or “get X level and win ’em all”-perks in BB. It IS great but there’s still question: well, they’ll rise level cap from 11 to 111, they’ll design 3 perk branches more, but what about the opponents?
    And main question emerges now: What would we wait from the game? Will developers go by the easiest way of opponents leveling system? Will we encounter an Orc with dragon-like HP-stripe? Will we face 200 bandits in everyday battle? This way is simple and boring. Or maybe our mercs will age, get perk-penalties with wounds or retire to organize their own parties. I think such a question generates some interest not only for me. So I want to know what do you think about this? And if your choice (as I hope) is not a simple way – so what future “late game content” do you prepare with this point of view?
    And last for now – I’m sure you understand such a question had appeared only because BB deserves many hours of gameplay, and shouldn’t be complete fast.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.