Topic: Paul´s Art Corner

• Author
    Keymaster

Hey folks,
    I´m Paul the Battle Brothers art guy.
    This is where I provide some insights into my design and show work in progress pieces.
    Updates will be irregular but frequent :)

Cheers!

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

I´ll start off with a little preview on the new ingame weapon icons.
    Until now we only had one icon for each weapon category (daggers, swords, axes etc). From now on every weapon will have it´s own unique icon. Whether it is a rusty old hatchet or the dragonslayer sword of destruction. Of course same goes for the inventory icons.

Cheers

Weapon Icons Mockup

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

Just as promised here´s the first post.
    I thought it would be interesting how the Battle Brothers are composed and what layers we use.
    This system provides a maximum of customization without requiring too much work. How many Armors, Weapons, Helmets and faces there will be in the final game is yet to be seen. But be sure its a ton :)
    Battle Brothers Layer System

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

You want more shields? here, have some!
    There´ll be 5 classes of shields at launch: Bucklers, wooden shields, reinforced round shields, heater shields and kite shields.
    Most of them come in a wide variety of colors and patterns to mix things up a little. When a shield drops or you buy one the pattern will be randomly set. Of course you can collect certain colors to have your posse look alike :) By the way, the same goes for the helmets, as most medieval Helmets had painted patterns on them.

All shields have 3 states: intact, damaged and a broken version (lying on the ground).

Battle Brothers Shields

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

The keyvisual is still far from finished, but I´d like to show some of the progress.
    I began with a pretty old illustration of mine and slowly overworked all of it. The enemies had to be exchanged to fit our actual game and the overall quality really needed a rework. On top of that I decided to change the color scheme to something a little darker and more dramatic.

Cheers!

Battle Brothers Keyvisual WIP

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

Here´s a picture showcasing some of the helmet variations in the game. It would be pretty boring to just have one look for one helmet. So just like the shields, the same helmet can appear in a variety of styles.
    There are 4 Helmets in the picture, from top to bottom:
    – Spangehelm
    – Full Helm
    – Flat topped Helmet
    – Kettlehelm

Be sure that there will be a lot more (especially paint jobs) in the final game.

Cheers!

Helmet Variations

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

I´ve managed to put some more work into the character bases to make them better visible as well as feature a different style for each faction in the game.
    This is just the first iteration, we´ll test these and then see if it works the way we wanted it to :)

Cheers!

New Sockets

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

Here´s an update on the new ingame weapon icons. Now every weapon gets it´s own unique icon ingame as well as in the inventory.
    As with all stuff, there´ll be a load more weapons in the final game.
    Cheers!
    New Weapon icons

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Avatar photoPsenBattle.

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

Here´s an early version of the inventory system we are working on right now. It´s quite a lot of effort to create inventory icons for all pieces of equipment, but it´s definitely an important thing.
    The whole system should be in and working by the ende of Februrary, hope that works out.
    Cheers!

Inventory WIP

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

Here´s the basic painting process of a typical skill icon.
    I start out with a pretty rough painting of the skill in 500×500 pixels size. You don´t need a lot of details here, it all comes down to colors and contrasts when you resize it to the final 48×48 pixels size. I go back and forth a lot to check if the icon is clearly readable and how it compares to the already existing icons.
    When resizing I use “smart sharpen” with 35% and on top of that an +20 brightness +20 contrast action to give the icon some extra punch.
    Cheers!
    Icon Painting

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

Here´s my little playground where I test all the new assets and characters while I paint them :)
    Mockup all

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

I’m not sure if we’re allowed to post in this thread so just remove this if it shouldn’t be here.

I just wanted to say i’m so freaking impressed by the art style. Totally blown away, haha. I take it you work with this professionally? Do you have a portfolio or something of the sort that one could check out?

Keymaster

Hey Shrim,
    of course you´re welcome to post here. Congrats on being the first one :)
    Thanks a bunch for your flattering comment. Indeed I work as a professional concept artist. If you want to check out some of my stuff you´ll have to look here: http://taaks.deviantart.com or here http://crabcakes.cghub.com
    It´s all rather old stuff as I am reworking my private portfolio right now.
    But check back in here, there´ll be more updates every week :)
    Cheers!
    Paul

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

Here´s a little example of how our environment graphics work.
    Each type of tile (grass, earth, forest, swamp etc….) has its own set of according details and objects.
    This system is completey modular and can be easily used for procedually generated maps and get filled with more content on the fly.

Cheers!

Tile Layers

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

That all looks really good! It’s really interesting to get an inside view at some of the systems and tools to make some of the visuals of the game. The overall improvement and progress is quite impressive as well. Keep up the fantastic work, really loving what’s been shown so far (and I tend to hate turn based hex based RPGs, so that’s really saying something!).

I especially love how modular the systems for creating character models and varying terrain are. It allows for a vast range of variety in the random generation but still maintains structure and looks good. Very impressive.

PS: Looking at your work on Deviant Art it’s really crazy how much you’ve improved over time. Your recent work looks really fantastic!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Avatar photoFawz.

"Is the ability to do something not reason enough to do it?"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,777 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.