Topic: Paul´s Art Corner

• Author
    Participant

Thank you!

Participant

Hi Paul, hope you guys are well. The community is very curious to hear about what you guys are working on. I understand if you can’t share anything now but can you give us any indication about when we might expect some news? I live and breath on this game :D

Participant

Hi Paul,

I recently contacted Vendelhelm regarding the drawings of 16th century plate helmets. I would like to develop my art style in the likes of yours, and with all the various resources that you have posted on this blog, I was wondering if there are any additional resources that you have.

I would like to know if you’re willing to post some additional helmets and armour, maybe even weapons that you haven’t posted yet, as I am trying to develop my own art style. I would love to use them as references if you’re willing!

Its really difficult using the downsized 70 x 140 pixel png files from the actual game in order to use as a reference.

Art has to be the biggest medium between game and player, and you have outdone yourself. Hence why Battle Brothers is my favourite game of all time.

Thank you so much Paul.

Here's a photo of my first attempt at a sickle. I have never done digital art before, nor have I ever used a drawing tablet before, so there were many firsts with this.

Here's another edit of the same sickle after some critiques on its actual functionality as a sickle.

Keymaster

Hi Paul, hope you guys are well. The community is very curious to hear about what you guys are working on. I understand if you can’t share anything now but can you give us any indication about when we might expect some news? I live and breath on this game :D

Hey Dervis,
    I still can’t give you an ETA, but be assured we are very working hard and it won’t be too long until we come back to you guys. Pinky promise.

Hey Amoeba,
    thanks for the compliments. Are there any special armors/weapons you have in mind? If you let me know what exactly you need I can provide some more pictures. I don’t have the time to double check what I’ve already posted and what not :)
    Hmm the images you attached are not displayed for me……

Cheers!

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Hi Paul,

Please ignore my first post, you really don’t want to see what those images looked like.

I would like to know instead of your process for outlining and mitigating detail loss when scaling your assets down. For me, the biggest issue is that when using your weapons from the digital artbook as references, I find that I cannot replicate it as well as the original and give up. I start adding too much detail, and I fade the lights and darks a little too much, which results in the final product being blurry when looked at through the battle map’s icons.

Another issue I’m having is that it seems that I need to make two versions of the same weapon: one for the battle map, and one for the inventory. Because right now, my method of mitigating detail loss when scaling my weapons down is to just go back to the original, and thicken a lot of the lines, but doing so makes the closeup for the inventory screen horrendous. How do you manage to keep detail when scaling down and keep it pretty for the inventory screen?

Another issue I’m finding is that I have no clue how you make your weapons have a nice, crisp, unblurry outline when in the battle map? I’ve tried placing a stroke layer filter around the entirety of my weapon by about 1-2px, but even then its too uniformly thick. I’ve tried placing an outer glow layer filter on it with a low spread and size to act as an outline rather than a shadow (also because I’ve noticed that there’s a very slight glow to the two-handed axe assets when in battle), but that’s also too blurry.

I am losing my mind because I have spent hours upon hours just trying to figure out how to fix these two issues. Mind you, I’ve only started drawing these weapons about 6 days ago, so I still have a long long way to go, but I would love to know how you do both these things so that I can avoid wasting a lot of my time in the future.

If you have a video of you making a weapon, literally any weapon or armour, that would be more valuable than my weight in gold right now.

I really do appreciate your quick response to my first reply and would like to thank you for all your hard work.

Here I have attached what I feel proud enough to show. I really hope it shows up this time, I clicked the “IMG” icon on the top last time. I hope the “Upload Attachments” button works with actually posting a photo.

Here is a photo of my weapons that I feel proud enough to show. I won't know if the image will load until after this post has been approved.

If both the IMG button fails and the Upload Attachments button fails, the image I am trying to show you can be found here: https://ibb.co/bWKvYzV

Participant

Your art work looks great Amoeba. I too inspired by Paul’s work and draw weapons and armours a few years ago. But mine are only of pixel.

Keymaster

Hey Amoeba,
    thanks for the detailed questions. Even though I am tight on time I always enjoy to share some of my experience. First of all, the scythe you attached looks pretty good. Just “clean it up” some more and you are good to go. Try not to have too many sharp little details, keep the surfaces rather smooth.

I created a little overview of how I go about creating the different versions of an Icon. The screenshotted photoshop elements are in german, but I am pretty sure you’ll understand what I have been doing.

Cheers!

Icon creation flow

The second picture shows what happens (to me as well) when adding too much detail and how to deal with that.

Detail

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

A pleasure to visit this place from time to time. Eager to see the art of your new project ;).
    Let’s hope the new game have an art thread with 117 pages like Paul’s art corner jeje.

Participant

New content announced!
    I guess is new art and gear jeje. Maybe new enemies too?

Participant

Started practicing your style for a personnal game project, it’s really fun to do, I understand why you went for this!

Feel free to give feedback on it also :)

Attachments:
    Keymaster

Started practicing your style for a personnal game project, it’s really fun to do, I understand why you went for this!

Feel free to give feedback on it also :)

Hey plummel,
    here are some very basic effects I use on all my assets: Inner glow, outer glow and an overlay layer. On top of that use some black lining to separate different elements of the character.
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers!

Attachments:

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Very interesting, will apply, gives it a little more punch, thanks a lot !

Participant

Updated some, will make now “HD” versions in 500×500 as these are quite small for testing.

Would you mind talking on discord? I would love to get more of your opinions in the future if you have the time. (plummel#3890)
    I understand if not.

BB’s style offers lots of freedom, but I wonder how I could adapt it for myself not entirely ripping it off, even for my own training!
    Thanks for the advice again. ;)

Keymaster

Hey Plummel,
    first of all, don’t ever be concerned about “ripping off” somebody elses style. Whenever you try to imitate someones style, you’ll learn something new and you will develop your own style anyways, no matter what you do. So just go ahead and learn from your favorite artists.

Regarding Discord, I’m pretty tight on time, so for me it works best if you just post or send me some questions and I will answer them whenever I have a little time to spare.

Cheers!

PS do you own the Battle Brothers Art Bible?

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

I do own the artbook if that is what you’re asking me, thanks for the answers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 1,777 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.