Topic: Paul´s Art Corner

• Author
    Keymaster

Although I desperately miss a “Fatso-Nachzehrer” there

I wanted to put one in, but decided to cut it later.
    Heres a sketch with the Nachzehrer in the very background

sketch

Due to popular demand here is the very old keyvisual :)
    Back in the day we called the game “Terror from the Keep” and it was very heavily xcom inspired. The enemies where also inspired by snakemen etc
    keyvis1

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

I wanted to put one in, but decided to cut it later.

Man, why do you always decide to cut the good stuff – just like the pipe-smoking merc from the sketch of the main menu background. ^^

Heres a sketch with the Nachzehrer in the very background

Interesting (that sketch poses more questions than it answers ;P), have you also done these placeholder “assets” (is that the correct term? ^^) or where are those from and what purpose did they originally serve?

Have you ever thought about recording (and maybe explaining/commenting a little) the painting process of one art piece? If it takes very long, it then could be made into fast motion video in between. This actually could have been a cool addition to this week’s blog.^^ Maybe this is an idea for a future one, where again the focus is on the art.

Regarding the Nachzehrer: I think, it might have been a good idea to let him be the aroar orc in the foreground on the left, drivelling and roaring so heavy that the spittle flies.

Back in the day we called the game “Terror from the Keep” and it was very heavily xcom inspired.

Cool pun. ^^

Another idea:
    I recently read the Fangshire’s fluff text ( http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/260468244960658471/A63AE9C296B126091149522DAC7BAA283B676E3E/ ) and thought, since eyes (of enemies) can already glow red, why not make the Fangshire’s wearer’s eyes glow yellow in the night, just like the text suggests(, as long as this isn’t already a thing ^^)?

Participant

Hey Paul, it seems to me that something is wrong with this part of the picture…

Keymaster

have you also done these placeholder “assets” (is that the correct term? ^^) or where are those from and what purpose did they originally serve?

Thanks for asking, it’s fun to explain how I work every once in a while. I first paint a very rough setup and then put in placeholders for the characters poses. Some of these placeholders are painted by me, others are just cut out of other images. You can clearly see a chaos space marine on the left side of the picture. His pose was pretty interesting, although I decided to do something else in the end.
    If you dont have a lot of time, this is a fast way to see if your composition really works and if the picture has the right “spirit” so you dont waste time on something which doesnt come together in the end.

Have you ever thought about recording (and maybe explaining/commenting a little) the painting process of one art piece?

Of course and I already did so, allthough its not for Battle Brothers. Its just a time lapse video for an artwork I did for Shards of War.
    Painting Timelapse
    The problem with these videos is, that it takes extra time in preparation and editing. As you all know we are under constant pressure to get shit done quickly. On top of that its difficult to record such a video when painting a big artwork where the first half of the process is only testing, finding the right composition and poses.
    Nevertheless I’ll try to record something, I think its awesome if I can show some more insights in the painting processes.

since eyes (of enemies) can already glow red, why not make the Fangshire’s wearer’s eyes glow yellow in the night, just like the text suggests(, as long as this isn’t already a thing ^^)?

If its a quick fix we might do it :) I’ll ask our programmer about it.

Hey Paul, it seems to me that something is wrong with this part of the picture…

I see what you mean. The whole dagger is there, but the part where it gets hit by the light looks a lot thicker than rest. I think I’ll leave it like that for now, even though its obviously an imperfection.
    sword

Cheers!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Ok, u r the boss here! ?

Keymaster

Here’s a little insight on what Im working on right now.
    Cheers!

Banners

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Wow, its interesting… Does it mean that we will be able to hold own banner in the battle? Will it give us some bafs if it does?

Keymaster

Does it mean that we will be able to hold own banner in the battle? Will it give us some bafs if it does?

Yeah of course it comes with its own effects. But I wont tell you how you’ll get it yet :)

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Ok, but maybe you can tell that… the guy with the banner can use only one hand i mean use only one-handed weapons and the second hand will be busy by banner? :)

Keymaster

Ok, but maybe you can tell that… the guy with the banner can use only one hand i mean use only one-handed weapons and the second hand will be busy by banner?

It works the same way the battle standarts for the human faction work, it’s basically a pike polearm.

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

thanks Paul, very excited in anticipation of patch…

Participant

Hey Paul,
    thanks for taking the time to answer that extensively.

Of course and I already did so, allthough its not for Battle Brothers. Its just a time lapse video for an artwork I did for Shards of War.
    Painting Timelapse

Some things I noticed while watching:
    I think the time lapse is too fast.^^ Sometimes, when one finally notices, where you are drawing, you are already doing the next thing.

Also personally, I would like to know the reasoning behind (some of) the actions. (e.g. at 0:20 you draw a part of her jacket buckle, and shortly after that you delete it, only to redraw it some time later (you also interchange the left and the right part of the jacket buckle, the reference shows it the otherway around); is the mirroring of the picture just a video editing shenanigan; at 4:02 you close the hole in the pants on her thigh; at 4:09 you add more seams to the jacket)

And one doesn’t have the slightest sense of time. How long did it actually take to draw the single parts and finally the whole picture? Would be nice to have some reference.

Participant

Ok, number 1 and 2 – i see how it can be used like a pike, even 4 and 8…may be… but rest… to use it like pike polearm brothers must be real master? )

Participant

I love that we’re seeing this.

Maybe if the banner occupied the shield slot (as it sort of looks like) the battle-bro could just wield a light sword. With the banner being quite heavy and giving whatever perks you guys have in mind?

Keymaster

I think the time lapse is too fast.^^ Sometimes, when one finally notices, where you are drawing, you are already doing the next thing.

I recorded the video without any photoshop windows and zooms. It’s a lot easier to watch, but just like you mentioned you wont notice when I zoom in to paint some small details.
    Here’s another video where I recorded all the zooms etc. It#s easier to follow what happens, but it can be difficult to watch.
    PS: Better turn off the music on this one.
    Time Lapse 2

I think the time lapse is too fast.

These vids where produced as casual marketing material for Shards of War and have no educational value whatsoever :) Thats why they are so fast.

(you also interchange the left and the right part of the jacket buckle, the reference shows it the otherway around)

I decided to have the buckle on the outer side, because it creates a more dynamic silhouette and makes it easier to “read” the jacket by not interfering with its internal shape too much.

is the mirroring of the picture just a video editing shenaniga

It’s an extremely important technique to assure that your picture is balanced and doesnt tilt to one side or that proportions are skewed. The picture has to work no matter if the image is mirrored or not.

at 4:02 you close the hole in the pants on her thigh

The hole didnt work, it interfered with the readability of her pose.

at 4:09 you add more seams to the jacket

Just adding details :)

How long did it actually take to draw the single parts and finally the whole picture?

The whole thing took around 4 to 5 days to paint with an additional day o´r two of sketching and gathering reference material.
    The concept artworks where done before that by another artist.

Ok, number 1 and 2 – i see how it can be used like a pike, even 4 and 8…may be

Lets just assume enemies simply get hit over the head with those things :)

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Viewing 15 posts - 1,081 through 1,095 (of 1,776 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.