Topic: Paul´s Art Corner

• Author
    Keymaster

parameters of this ancient equipment will be worse than conventional weapons?

Yes, they will have a lot of metal armor, but the protection values will not be that high as the stuff is totally rotting and rusted.
    Their equipment will not be lootable for now, because we dont have the time to implement all that stuff for the player.

For now this will be a visual overhaul only. The real rework will come with the worldmap rework. Andy maybe then some of the equip will be lootable :) We will see…..

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

The skeletons are essentially warriors that perished in past battles, so shouldn’t their armor and headgear have ‘wounds’ inflicted in a fight? Not just rust, but some serious damage that resulted in an owner’s death?

these guys have been lying in the ground for ages

But the mantles (cloth capes) look like new!! Only buckle covered in rust..
    They are very cool, but according to setting absolutely out of place: the capes shouldn’t exist in their attire, because you’d imagine any sort of cloth would completely rot in a decade, and in a century only buckle would be left.
    Unless they visited a store in a local village and dressed up expecting your visit.

Participant

Good idea with making the undead feel more ancient, but does it mean that the skeletons from now on will only get this new ancient look or will there be some medieval-styled skeletons as well (I prefer these more)?

Participant

BTW
    Do you plan add undead necromancers or liches to the game?
    Also do you plan add some subfactions in undead?
    Like some Elder vampire clan or Necromancer conclave or Duke Wasdead zombie faction.
    Any chance for that?

PS Awesome undead. Great idea with all that ancient flavour.

Keymaster

shouldn’t their armor and headgear have ‘wounds’ inflicted in a fight?

The actual reason why the gear looks so intact is that while painting I always start with a complete, undamaged suit of armor and then “destroy” it to the degree I want. With this workflow I can always go back to the original graphic or create a variety looks from the same armor.
    The skeletons are not finished yet so I guess the armor will get destroyed more and more the longer I kepp on painting :)

On the other hand there is one problem: Scratches, dents and broken parts create a lot of visual “noise” especially when using small sprites like in Battle Brothers. The character becomes more difficult to read and it gets hard to tell what kind of armor he is actually wearing if it shows no clear patterns.
    Furthermore I want the armor to show whether it is still intact or already lost a lot of armor points. If the armor looks too damaged from the start, it may become difficult to tell the difference between intact and damaged armor.

I could just solve the issue with some Lore: Lets assume the skeletons that raise from the dead are not fallen warriors from battle, but have been buried alive when their lord died. Like human sacrifices.
    The lore is not written yet, but there will be a clear difference between zombies and skeletons. While zombies get resurrected from the “outside” (a Necromancer performing dark magic) skeletons will be resurrected from the “inside” by old and dark energies they somehow contain themselves.
    Something like that :) Thats also explaining why the necromancer is a living human, but the Lich is undead.

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

cloth would completely rot in a decad

I guess I have to call artistic liberty on this one :) I want them to feature an germanic/celtic look and checkered capes etc are very characteristic for that. So I just think it looks awesome and I ignored logic this time.

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

will there be some medieval-styled skeletons as well (I prefer these more)

I know what you mean *cough* fallen heroes *cough*.
    I agree that they didnt look bad at all, but I just decided to jump at the chance to create a whole new look and something unique that hasnt been done before. The Zombies might take over the fallen heroe look for their own endgame units though.

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

Do you plan add undead necromancers or liches to the game?

Yeah, the Lich is crawling around in our game design document for almost 2 years now haha. He’ll make it in someday.

Also do you plan add some subfactions in undead?

We already discussed splitting up the factions between zombies and skeletons. We have soo many ideas that we could easily create various factions out of these, but dont have the time to reaize verything at the same time.
    The ghouls most probably will be moved to the beast faction.

btw: The Vampire lord has been painted ages ago, but never got implemented

vampires

I did some experimentation on the zombie duke a while ago, but I think this is not the look he will have.

Duke

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

take the opportunity and your obviously creative enthusiasm, Paul :) I would like to ask you for something. I noticed that all the new 2 hand axes in the game (I’m a big fan of the ax in the games and in the historical reconstructions that I participate) “See” it’s blade to back. This has been done for some special reason? Can I ask you if you have time to draw their blade forward – so it seems to me much better. And once the conversation turned – the icons in the inventory and models in the game and the characters do not match, some named axes. Forgive my tediousness, but the axes have to be perfect, you know, like the game itself :).

Attachments:
    Keymaster

The axe on the first screenshot obviously doesnt match, thats a bug, I will see to fix that.
    The reason why some of the axes have their blade downward is so that they look like you carry them on your shoulder. However when in combat the blade would of course have to be turned towards the striking direction.
    I see if I can change that.

Cheers!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

I hope these screenshots help you find a bug easier and faster

Keymaster

I will be away for some days, so heres another screen to look at:
    (Disclaimer: this is heavily work in progress)

Skeleton Mockup

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

wow! I like that kind of “celtic” undead. Don’t want to find them in battle hehe.

Participant

Run, Brave Sir Robin! Run very bravely!

Participant

So there will be Lich.
    I am kinda scared.
    Great news for minifactions. Do you plan add some new units for them?
    Zombies are kind of limited. Do they get their own sort of weapons and armours? Or at last rusted/ damaged versions of current ones ( kind of weorse bandit gear?).
    So necromancers are corrupted druids? Instead bringing life they bring dead to unlife. Neet.

I agree on Ghouls switching to beast category. Them fighting alongside zombies always make me wonder why they not eat them.
    Wonder if you plan to add some deep for a Ghouls. Like add them Pack Leaders/Hunters(stronger type) and Quenss/Martiarchs(mini boss type). Overall I can see them as a sort of nightloving scavengers that live in caves, catacombs or even in city severs. Weak and covardly alone but agressive in packs.

By the way. Are you plan to add some flavour to wolf folk? I kinda can imagine them as a tribals with feathers amulets and stuff with native look.
    They can run with Wargs as the lower unit then current Werewolf then some stronger one and Alpha(mini boss). They could be a hunter extremly territorial society with their own small camps.

I really enjoy look of your new sceletons.
    Can you add them some red fires in their eyeballs fore maximum spooky effect?
    :)
    Thanks for your amazing work.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,776 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.