Topic: Paul´s Art Corner

• Author
    Keymaster

Hey there,
    more weapons/armors/enemies/quests etc etc sound awesome, but I am afraid it’s not really an option to ditch the combat environments to add more random content and just fight every fight on a green meadow. I personally prefer fighting in an actual snow environment than having 85 instead of 80 weapons to choose from :)

The combat environment was planned from the very beginning of the project and right now is the time we are implementing it. Contracts, game mechanics and content in general is all planned and will be worked on when we finished this task.

Cheers!

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Sounds serious.) And nice to hear that the devs know what they want.)huge huge progress from what it was last summer. But it is worth remembering that in this game cannot become the undisputed champion of game play, you can just come to the state when there is nothing more to want:) it’s like WoW) the same sandbox.) And armor / weapons is a central feature of the game, something that is very different from all that is, the uniqueness of the game and your heroes as contracts) And since really a lot of work and few pictures, question: for you personally there is a difference working on this project and those that were before?)

Participant

hi guys,

Today i saw the first screenshots about battle brothers on IGN, read a few things on this website and steam and bought the supporter edition.
    Love the artstyle. I am a big fan of these type of games.

Will write a review on steam once i played a good number of hours.

Now let`s play the game :)

Participant

Fortifications on a tactic map have a higher priority in my expectations rating then halberds, mauls and bastards. But the top priority is 13th member of company.

Keymaster

Hey guys,
    heres what I am working on right now. The first thing is objects to depict certain locations on the combat maps.
    Heres some camp objects for example:
    camp objects

Far more interesting: Objects occupying more than 1 combat tile. Due to the way our game engine works we had to be creative to find a solution to make this work. Heres how we are doing it. We are cutting up the object into pieces and put them back together when the combat map is generated.
    This is only a sketch for a tent, so nothing spectacular yet :) But theres more to come!
    tent cuts

tent ingame

Cheers

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

This looks really promising. I enjoyed the new biomes in battle already and look forward to get my hands on those new site features when they are ready. But those multi tile features like the tent do come with double work as you have to do a second picture for the view from behind the tent when changing from the south to the north perspective. Just using the same graphic for the other perspective would feel kind of odd and immersion breaking. One second your merc would stand right before the entrance and then you change the view and he would be behind the tent.

"I am a Paladin!"
    >OMG, Malthus, there are no damn paladins in Battle Brothers...<
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

Hey thanks for doing these. Your work is amazing.

Participant

Far more interesting: Objects occupying more than 1 combat tile. Due to the way our game engine works we had to be creative to find a solution to make this work. Heres how we are doing it. We are cutting up the object into pieces and put them back together when the combat map is generated.

Hey Paul,
    is this also the solution for multi tile enemies?

And another thing: Seeing the pictures, I thought, it would be a cool thing, that would add to the atmosphere, if sometimes fitting weapons, that would be usable, would lie next to certain objects(or could be “looted” from them), e.g. a wooden stick from a camp fire, an axe from the split-wood-object or a knife or butchers’ cleaver from a table.

PS: Have you got more info about the Goblin Longaxe http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/battlebrothers/images/7/7c/Goblin_weapon_05.png/revision/latest?cb=20160328164328 and the Shaman Staff http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/battlebrothers/images/d/d6/Goblin_weapon_06.png/revision/latest?cb=20160328164243 ? ^^

Keymaster

is this also the solution for multi tile enemies?

Unfortunately that will take a little more effort, we have to tackle one thing after the other. Its not off the table though.

that would be usable, would lie next to certain objects

I thought exactly the same while painting the wood chopping block :) We would have to decide how it works though, as its not very spectatuclar if we just spawn a bag of loot next to it where you can find an axe….

The Goblin Longaxe never got into the game, as we do not think theres a clear place for it in the goblin equipment set.

We have this baby in our back hand. It’s almost done, but I cant tell you when it will be added to the game, as our focus lies elsewhere at the moment.
    Longaxe

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Keymaster

like the tent do come with double work as you have to do a second picture for the view from behind the tent when changing from the south to the north perspective.

Unfortunately thats the case :) On the other hand our units also only show one side. We’ll try a few things and then see how we handle it.

Cheers

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Damn, i love your art!

All life's problems can be solved with a bayonet charge.

Participant

Nice work with the camp objects! Are their any concepts for fortress tiles like walls or towers or buildings in general you could show us?

Btw. think about some game of thrones stuff in the game. :D

Wardog Armor

Participant

Hi Paul! Nice preview but I feel very strongly about one thing:

In the battle UI you should not use wood for the character panel, it should be paper, otherwise its too much brown on brown and doesn’t look nice and is hard to see. I am attaching the screen of the image I mean (bottom right corner)

Participant

PsenBattle Wrote:

Unfortunately that will take a little more effort, we have to tackle one thing after the other. Its not off the table though.

That’s nice to hear. Bears and boars (dire types?), just to mention the “mundane” beasties, come to mind as being nice mutli-hex candidates.

PsenBattle Continues:

I thought exactly the same while painting the wood chopping block ? We would have to decide how it works though, as its not very spectatuclar if we just spawn a bag of loot next to it where you can find an axe….

The Goblin Longaxe never got into the game, as we do not think theres a clear place for it in the goblin equipment set.

We have this baby in our back hand. It’s almost done, but I cant tell you when it will be added to the game, as our focus lies elsewhere at the moment.
    Longaxe

I don’t think you can have enough axes! 8-D It’s just sweet looking.

Totally beside the point, as Asterix_von_TWC mentioned earlier, I agree that the wood background in the combat queue is not a great choice. While it may be a hardcoded item, it would be easier on the eyes to have the combat queue either “parchment” or “white oak” color.

(Whew!! That’s the last time I try to mess w/ quote and blockquote tags! My HTML is just too dang rusty!!)

In a single player game, there's no such thing as cheating. It's merely "creative manipulation of the default settings"!

Keymaster

Heres a little update on what Im working on besides the UI.
    It will be explained it time :)

injuries

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 1,777 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.