Here we go – the new and final major update is now live on the beta branch of Battle Brothers!
As this is the final major update, our focus was on general polish, balance and quality of life improvements as much as on the remaining major features. Here’s the shortlist.
- Three different ‘Greater Evil’ late game crises for you to get involved in – a war between noble houses, a greenskin invasion and an undead invasion. Each comes with their own set of contracts, events and changes to the world.
- The Ancient Dead – an entire faction with new enemies to fight, new lootable weapons and armor, and unique tactics on the battlefield.
- A new system for mood and desertion – your men will react to how things are progressing, and it’s your job to keep them content.
- Ambitions – set goals for your company to pursue on their way to become legendary.
- Obituary – honor the brave men that have fallen under your command.
- Retirement – retire from your mercenary company when you’re ready to start a new life, and see how the company and its members fare without you.
- A complete overhaul of Ghouls into the new and more challenging Nachzehrer.
- New mechanics for morale to make resolve and initiative more important.
- 11 new contracts.
- 54 new illustrated events.
- 2 new music tracks.
- 70 Steam Achievements.
- Lots and lots of smaller improvements, changes and additions.
Steam Trading Cards will be unlocked at a later time.
Note that this update is not compatible with older savegames. You will have to start a new campaign!
What’s still to come?
While this beta version is very close to the final release, there’s still things yet to come over the next few weeks.
- More events
- A few legendary items hidden across the world
- One more music track
Any saves created with the beta version will be compatible with the release version, but some additions or late changes may require a new campaign in order to take effect. If that’s a problem for you, don’t opt into the beta.
Why put this in a beta branch first?
This update makes changes to many of the game’s core mechanics. Extensive changes like these will inevitably upset the game’s balance and introduce new issues. Participating in the beta is optional for everyone that wants to experience the new content now and doesn’t mind a few hiccups – we’re thankful for your feedback and bug reports! Everyone else may want to wait a few weeks until the game is more balanced and any issues that popped up have been ironed out.
Please report any issues you encounter in the forums following the instructions there. Do not leave random complaints as comments to this news post, they’d only get buried and lost.
How do I access the beta branch?
In order to access the beta branch of Battle Brothers you need to do as follows:
- Go to your Steam library.
- Right-click on ‘Battle Brothers’ and select ‘Properties’.
- Go to the tab labeled ‘BETAS’.
- Select ‘beta’ from the drop down menu.
Steam should now download the beta branch and once it is finished you can normally run it via your Steam library.